The Department of Labor and Industries makes decisions about the amount of workers' compensation premiums employers must pay. (Department of Labor & Industries)
If you disagree with a decision made by the Department, you should do one of the following:
- File a protest (request for reconsideration) with the Department, OR
- File an appeal with the BIIA.
Do not file a protest with the Department if you are filing an appeal with the BIIA.
You must file an appeal within 30 days of the date you receive a Notice and Order of Assessment (NOA).
You must file an appeal within 60 days of the date you receive a Revocation of Coverage, Classification Change, or Rate Notice.
Your appeal should include:
- The name and address of the firm being assessed.
- The firm number assigned by the Department.
- The Notice and Order of Assessment number (if applicable).
- The date of the decision.
- The reasons why you disagree with the decision.
You can file the appeal in Person, by Mail or by Fax:
Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals
PO Box 42401
2430 Chandler Court SW
Olympia WA 98504-2401
For more information about the appeal process, click here.
Return to FILING AN APPEAL